Four Year Old Classes
FOUR-YEAR-OLD CLASSES – Classes for four-year-olds are offered three days a week. Morning classes are held on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9:00 – 11:30 a.m. The afternoon class is offered on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 12:30 – 3:00 p.m. The children in the above classes work on refining and expanding their social skills as they work together during play as well as during thematic units which include art, literature and motor skills. In addition, show and tell, library time with language arts, motor skill practice and the beginning of pre-reading and writing skills are also being done. This level begins to work once a week with resource teachers for music and science. Children go on an off-site field trip in the fall and in the spring. Children must turn four years of age by December 31st of the school year. The ratio of staff to student is 1:8. This ratio is smaller than that required by the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services which licenses early childhood education programs.
RESOURCE CLASSES FOR FOUR AND FIVE-YEAR-OLDS
MUSIC AND MOVEMENT – The music and movement program is a weekly part of the four and five-year-old classes. This program builds on elements of music theory, structured and creative movement, instrumental playing and music appreciation. These are all presented in a child friendly format of interactive learning through singing, movement, games and improvisation using high quality children’s music.
SCIENCE RESOURCE – The science program is a weekly part of the four and five-year-old classes. The science program encourages creative problem solving, questioning and formulating hypotheses. Utilizing the resources of the Carnegie Museum, the children learn about many varied subjects, such as density, hibernation and metamorphosis.
SUPPLEMENTAL PROGRAMS FOR FOUR AND FIVE-YEAR-OLDS
STREAM AHEAD – An optional, one day a week class for children who are in the 4day/Pre-K classes, this program is held on Fridays from 12:30-3:00 p.m. STREAM AHEAD is an enrichment class full of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math) activities. This class offers our Pre-K students more opportunities to explore these concepts by using hands-on active, exploration of weekly themes and project based work. STREAM Day helps children build a foundation of science-related knowledge using the arts.
FOUR-YEAR-OLD CLASS GOALS
In our four year old class we learn by doing. Our busy schedule includes music, art, language activities, science and math. Our aim is to have children grow mentally, physically and socially. There are many opportunities for the child to talk, listen and participate in small groups. All of our learning tasks are progressive and programmed for success, helping children build self image by completing a job done well.
- Creative Arts
- Children begin to draw with intent
- Children have a chance to try many types of media
- Children take responsibility for care of art materials
- Children will be exposed to the work of many artist and illustrators
- Children will experience many different kinds of music
- Children will hear and experience many kinds of rhythm
- Children will learn and create songs
- Children will make music with simple instruments
- Language Arts
- Carry on a conversation
- Ask for what they need
- Use words to solve problems
- Take turns
- Learn to look at and have eye contact with speaker
- Link print with communication
- Write name
- Begin to copy letter and words
- Listen to and enjoy stories
- Finger plays, poems, act out stories, create own stories
- Use numbers to measure and order everything
- Look for and develop patterns
- Solve puzzles
- Nature science helps children learn about and understand the world around them
- Health and Safety
- Learn to practice rules for good health
- Learn to stay with teacher
- Learn to dial 911 and begin to know address and telephone number
- Learn fire safety
- Week Day Specials
- Music and movement
- Show and Tell
Four Year olds have fun building mazes and then having their "mice" navigate through them!
Coding fun...we program our animals to move how we want them to!